Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Kitchen Swallows

 Well today is the first really warm day since last Fall.
 Was actually sucking shade today  .At 6000 feet the sun gets intense rather quick.

Tree Swallow
 I rebuilt a bird house on the telephone pole, and had new tenants within days.

 So, I had the kitchen door open and was at the sink, when I thought a butterfly flew in,
but it was actually a swallow. It flew around once and the alighted inside on top of  the open door.    (directly above
where the kitchen fox used to sit).
 Now this type of swallow I didn't recognize. The usual are metallic blue/black top and a white breast.


 It was Black and sort of reddish, rust colored breast.
 It sat for a short bit, and I suggested it should leave before the fox shows up.
   Looked up on "eNature", it is the common barn swallow.

   Barn Swallow   

 No picture, as I didn't move quickly and scare it, but the link above has one.
I also learned that ll these "sparrows", around always eating gravel, are actually finches.
   Well I'm off, and see what tomorrow teaches.

No comments:

Post a Comment